Gloucester City Sail, Inc.
Gloucester City Sail, Inc. (GCS) is a non-profit agency whose main mission is
to serve the youth of the area through a maritime training program. The schooner
"North Wind" will serve as the flagship for the city and will be utilized as an
educational schoolship. Students from local schools will have the opportunity to
learn about the maritime world, with educational and job opportunities.
In addition, the students will learn teamwork, trust and respect for
themselves, others and the environment. The GCS program will reach out to youth
in the area, especially those less fortunate and under-privileged. The GCS
program will also serve adults who are veterans and/or handicapped.
Overall Program Goals:
- "North Wind" teaches and demonstrates to students the value of
teamwork, trust and respect.
- Unite a diverse group of students in the sciences to successfully
operate the schooner.
- The vessel is utilized as an educational platform teaching science,
the environment -- including wildlife in the Delaware River and Bay. These
are excellent educational tools since the river is 99.9% fresh water,
well-stocked with zoo-planation and phyto-plankton, as well as many
varieties of fish and wildlife.
- The schoolship takes students on educational sails in the spring and
- "North Wind" can be chartered for private events to generate income to help fund our educational programs.
- The schooner also serves as the flagship for Gloucester City, NJ.
Schooner - "North Wind"
The "North Wind" is a steel two-masted schooner. The vessel is U.S. Coast
Guard registered and inspected to carry up to 41 passengers on board. She is
berthed at "Freedom Pier" (the old Coast Guard Station) at the foot of
Cumberland Street in Gloucester City, NJ.